Sunday, January 10, 2010

Who's To Say?

I'm big on remembering quips, quotes, "sayings", or expressions. Recently I was reminded of this one:

"Who's to say that the rantings of a madman aren't actually the clear vision of the only sane man left."

That got me to thinking about how I see the issues of depression and anxiety. Among the various therapies and methods of helping people who complain of these symptoms, one strategy is to help them to "move on." Another is to help them sort out why what they're feeling is perhaps irrational. Depression is primarily a reaction to loss, one of it's most common symptoms is hopelessness. Can I honestly try to sell people on the idea that there are sufficient reasons to be hopeful in this world? Anxiety is a high energy emotion that's based in fear. There are indeed a lot of scary things in this world that can happen to people that we're powerless to stop. What advice can I possibly offer anyone that can truly nullify this prospect?

Please understand that I'm not attempting to make any definitive statements about helping people with emotional problems, I'm only examining the "reality of perception" people seem to operate in.

What I'm talking about here are average people who've suffered belief system crashes that left them traumatized and erroneously conditioned to react with anxiety and depression out of a perceived necessity for self preservation.

What if anything can I say? Explaining to people that their perceived need to hold onto the "self" and that their own realization of their powerlessness in controlling circumstances are at the root of their depression and anxiety?

Sure, but what will I do with the other 45 minutes?

In the absence of having God in our lives we tend to stand in for Him and do the job ourselves, and it is rough territory!

Have you got all of the bases covered? What if,what if, what if?

"I'm such a failure, I couldn't control the circumstances of my life completely, I should just give up!"

Can you see what I mean about "who's to say" yet?

If I told you everything bad that was going to happen to you for the rest of your life how do you think you'd handle it?

I think most people might resemble the "mad man" I referred to previously.

What if instead, I showed you in Gods word that while you may go through all of the things in your life I previously mentioned, that not only would everything work out great in the end but that you would have peace available to you in the midst of all of it. Would that calm you down? Would it allow you to see the events and circumstances of your life from the perspective of what you gained from them instead of what you've lost?

Proverbs 12:25

Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression,
But a good word makes it glad. (NKJV)

Philippians 4:6-7

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. (NKJV)

"Anxiety disorders, like many other conditions, are an example of normal responses that appear at inappropriate times".

Faced with everything that's going on in this world we live in and all of the personal challenges that each of us are going through everyday, I guess what I'm wondering is what would constitute justifiable grounds for depression and anxiety?

Although I've perhaps got grounds to, I don't feel depressed or anxious about my personal situation, nor do I feel that way about the future of our world. But I can absolutely understand how someone who doesn't have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ or someone who doesn't know Him as their Savior might! Some people may think I'm wrong not to be "overly concerned" but then, who's to say right?

No comments: