Monday, October 24, 2011

I Think You Know

I've always thought that one of the things I do best is to understand (and sometimes explain) abstract concepts. I'm certainly not a concrete linear thinker so that's all that's "left" right?

Today,as I reclined in my chair, lost in the serenity of the view outside my window Ihad one of those disoriented moments...It happened as I was making the transition. It was a moment in which the perceived insanity of this world seemed so clearly juxtaposed against the peace and tranquility of the world I had drifted off into,and like going from hot to cold the effects were magnified.

My next thoughts were analytical and seemed to question the authenticity of what I was experiencing and it's relevance to anyone besides myself but the case was quickly lost. I knew it was more than just my own egocentric flattery... No,the observance of this familiar topography was a product of months,perhaps even years, of subversive confoundment at the perfect storm of circumstances that seemed to not only be following me but hanging over the whole world as well!

One very dark cloud that's predominant characteristic or quality lies in the inability of anyone to put their finger directly upon it

I've noticed that everyday the water seems to get muddier. That with each new shocking headline or catastrophe I become a little more jaded. With the advent of each new previously unthinkable event we're forced to redefine what is reality.Have you ever wondered "What next?" And then,wanting to turn directly towards that roaring sound you hear creeping up on you, you begin to move only to be halted by your sternest inner parental tone barking out for you to do anabout face back towards "reality"? Often it's accompanied or supported by another inner voice espousing the convincing logic of continuity, the notion that what hashappened will always continue on and on,and to think otherwise is well...foolish

2 Peter 3:3-4

Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,4And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

To me it's no mere coincidence that this is also the concept science bases much of what it espouses to be true upon. That this is the threshold of truth used as a platform for hypothesis and theory to explain practically everything. Be it carbon dating or that most sacred of scientific cow's "the speed of light" both of which have faced a re-examination in recent years. The crisis then becomes a cliche, it's almost like saying,

"What if everything you know is wrong?"

Am I being overly abstract even for me, painfully esoteric and annoyingly cryptic?

All apologies...

I've chosen to write this primarily for myself, if someone else gets it then great. It's simply a situation that's increasingly difficult for me to abide with and so my hope is that by exploring it here I can perhaps put a finger on it or give it a name. In the past I've railed against what I perceive as the hypocrisy of institutionalized religion that's become an "I've got mine" Christian social club or the pridefully motivated law keeping that would do the Pharisee's proud! But that's not really it. It's so much broader, and yet it can take the form of small annoying things that seem out of balance or somehow just wrong in your life...like living someplace where flies seem to outnumber humans by 10,000 to 1 or too much month left at the end of the money...

My annoyances and inconveniences seem petty when I look around and see the interminable struggle just to live that's faced by so many here on this blue and green spinning ball. Reconciling those realities is like trying to ignore some 800lb existential gorilla in the room or not be shocked at an emperor without any clothes. It's an out of whack reality that can unexpectedly slap you in the face evenin your favorite chair or anywhere that the illusion is strong enough, accepted as the norm or thought of as just the way it is...

I'm simply trying to relate how in one moment

I was startled to see through the illusion.

James 3:15-17

15This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. 16For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.17But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.

To some who read this what I'm saying will make little sense. Others may relate,acknowledging the new status quo of confusion and deception. It's probably not any revelation to many that this world is going to pot,

but what I'm pointing at is how, on a very personal level,

I feel the effects of what's happening!

How sometimes it still takes me by surprise.

like the frog in a pot eventually looking around as if to say,

"Isn't it getting hot in here?"

What in the world am I talking about?

It's really no great matter unless it leaves you different than you were before

Different in what way?

I think you know...

No comments: