Friday, February 27, 2009

Contenders for the Faith


Here's a scenario for you, you're at work and you overhear someone talking about Christianity to another co-worker...Great right? Except that after listening to the conversation for an appropriate amount of time you realize that what the person is saying about Christianity is fundamentally wrong, or perhaps it's just a misrepresentation of the covenant of grace VS legalism...

what do you do?

There's a reason why politics and religion aren't considered "polite conversation"

the ability to disagree without being disagreeable is a very high art form!

Black people and white people sometimes don't get along that well, we fight amongst ourselves like brothers have been known to do and things can sometimes get carried away, WAY carried away, scars are left, grudges are held.

I may have beat on you, but there is no way I'm going to let anyone else beat on you!

Why? because we're a family! And despite our differences, dysfunctions and disputes you're still my brother and I love you!

(please don't tell that around,okay? if he found out it would be the end for me)

The body of Christ is composed of family members, as such I think that we need to be strong enough to bend but not break. THAT is what shows real strength to an unsaved and watching world! If you're in a relationship with someone and you don't have the ability to communicate with them honestly then what you have is "acquaintance's" not a family...you know what I mean! I see it as important that we present an atmosphere to people where questions and discussions are encouraged, not an atmosphere of spiritual eggshells that we all walk on.

Gods word has many examples of people arguing. Conflicts can be opportunities to clarify ideas, expectations and goals. They may bring into the open what needs to be changed. Even good change rarely happens without conflict.

Ephesians 5:11
And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. 12For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.13But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light

To reprove: To confute, admonish, convict, convince, tell a fault, rebuke (Strong's Concordance)

I believe that our enemy appreciates it when Christian people stay silent rather than risk possibly having to defend their faith or having someone take out their religious frustrations on them. (that happens) When Christian's are more concerned with not stepping on anybody's toes darkness is "un-disturbed" and satan doesn't have to re-tell all of those lies he's told people.

Jude 1:3 (King James Version)

Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

My pastor once told me that any good sermon has to end up being about the blood of Christ. It's at the core of who we are as Christians and THAT is something definitely worth contending for.
If we as Christians are squabbling over are stuff like "who WAS Cains wife?" or "what color should the new carpet in the sanctuary be?" then yeah, we need to just grow up and learn to "let it go," but when we see stuff that might serve as a stumbling block to people I think we should speak up. Some people here on 360 feel bothered by people who have questions, or by people who are rude, or argumentative, not me! There's nothing in this world that my Lord cannot use to attempt to save someone, no darkness that He can't shine on, He's not offended! Can you see the absurdity of ME being offended? He loves them, and I think that maybe I hadn't oughtta too! LOL I choose to take any opportunity I can, wherever I can, In season or out, to share His love with people!

No comments: