Saturday, September 6, 2008

In The "real world"


Are you still with me? Or are your eyes glazed over? Should I pass the plate now? We've all been bombarded with a variety of philosophys and ideologys in our lives. We really don't know what to believe in the face of so much competition for our mind/heart space. I'm a skeptical person myself,and sotimes rather than making a decision about something i'll file it away under "interesting,but not exactly what I believe" There has to be an aspect of it that we find intrinsicly usable and practical in our daily lives. Other people arrive at their conclusions thru conflict or crisisand require only that it brings them peace or comfort. They don't feel any need to understand it beyond just knowing that "it works for me". Is it really working for you,beyond beyond your current time of crisis? Or does the wisdom of uncertainty pay you any daily dividends? I found it hard to stay in either camp for very long. I really felt that in order for me to be to be truly served by my beliefs they had to do both. Is that too much to expect? I found that I was unable to commit to anything that did'nt. To put it simply, my psychology had to agree with my theology. Most people in either camp are diametricly opposed,and there are some aspects of both that I can't abide with. I don't share the viewpoint that people are basicly good,I know diffrent. I don't believe that being homosexual is any greater a sin than what is commited by the people who shun or shame them. I do believe in following Christ and his teachings. I also believe in my responsibility to choose how I perceive events and people,my "ownership" of my thought life. I believe this is what Christ was teaching in Matthew,specificly in chapter 5 verses 39-48 where he talks about turning the other cheek. Now thats thought subjection! Or when he says to love those who hate you and despitefully use you. Boy that sounds tuff! How in the world could we possibly change our perceptions to accomplish that?


No comments: